Vet urges owners to take their dog’s collar off indoors as pets die from choking

Vet urges owners to take their dog’s collar off indoors as pets die from choking

A leading canine first aid expert is warning owners to take their dog’s collar off indoors to avoid death from choking. Qualified veterinary nurse Rachel Bean is speaking out after witnessing a number of avoidable injuries caused by canines wearing collars in the house.

The animal behaviourist has seen dogs suffer and even die from their collar being caught on door handles and radiator dials while home alone. In some horrific cases, boisterous playtimes between pups have also led to choking incidents and death.

Rachel, who travels the country giving canine first air workshops, says there is no reason for collars to be worn when the dog is not out for a walk in public.

The canine expert has also warned of leaving dogs wearing collars and harnesses in indoor crates because they could become caught on the metal.

Rachel explained: “All too often these indoor collar injuries and tragedies can be avoided by simply taking off the collar.

“Many people think it is a legal requirement, but that is only when your dog is out walking.

“When you are walking with your dog you are watching them closely, but at home so many things can happen while you are not looking, and that is when these horrible incidents happen.”

Rachel added: “I have seen cases where during a play session one of the dog’s mouth has become caught on the other’s collar creating a dangerous panic situation and causing devastating life-threatening injuries.

“Your dog will be safer and more comfortable without their collar indoors, and you will be able to relax too.”

The Control of Dogs Order 1992 law currently states that all pet dogs must wear a collar with an owner’s name and address visible when in a public place.

Owners should be aware that their postcode must be included on their dog’s ID collar or tag, but the law does not obligate you to include your phone number.

lapupilanet